6WIND Announces Support for Cavium Networks OCTEONTM II Multicore MIPS64 Processor
PARIS, France, April 14, 2009
– 6WIND, a leading provider of embedded software solutions to simplify networking and application development within multicore processor based equipment, today announced support for the OCTEON II Processors from Cavium Networks (NASDAQ: CAVM), a leading provider of semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for networking, communications, storage, wireless, video and security applications. 6WIND’s 6WINDGate™ software will empower OCTEON II embedded design engineers with a complete ready-to-use networking middleware solution to design multicore-based equipment and applications. Having worked with the previous generation of OCTEON as well, using 6WINDGate for validation on and migration to OCTEON II will be seamless in enabling a simplified migration path that maximizes OCTEON II performance.
As a Cavium PACE (Partnership to Accelerate Customer End-solutions) member, 6WIND’s
6WINDGate software suite enables simplicity and speed in designing applications upon multicore-based equipment. By ridding designers of having to deal with optimizing software for multicore, several advantages can be realized with 6WINDGate by telecommunications, security and networking equipment manufacturers:
- Maximizes performance gains offered by the OCTEON II
- Scales from 1 to any number of cores via a variety of simple-to-implement profiles
- Enables seamless integration of Fast Path running in the OCTEON II executive environment with Linux Architecture for the Control Plane using open and standards-based approach
- Off-the-shelf ready with a complete set of integrated networking features (L2, IP forwarding, security, filtering, QoS, NAT, multicast, routing and virtual routing, ROHC, TCP offloading, flow inspection, full IPv6 ready solution, etc.) to remove design cycles
- Framework eases development of additional features and maximizes portability across OCTEON II
- XML-based manageability eases integration of networking, applications and value-added features
- Maximizes customer software development and reuse
- Reduces development cycles and design time leading to cost reductions for telecommunications, security and networking equipment manufactures and chipset providers
“Cavium Network’s OCTEON II is state of the art multicore technology that addresses several markets in need of higher performance equipment and applications,” commented Eric Carmès, CEO of 6WIND. “Combined with our ability to simplify the multicore networking and design environment with 6WINDGate, our joint solution delivers to market the ability for design engineers to quickly maximize performance of OCTEON II based designs while enjoying a faster time to market and revenue.”
“We have several joint tier-1 customers with 6WIND who are using 6WINDGate along with the Cavium OCTEON and OCTEON Plus processors,” said Rajiv Khemani, Vice President and General Manager, Networking and Communications Division, Cavium Networks. “We are pleased that 6WIND is supporting OCTEON II. Through our combined solution, customers will be able to achieve fast time to market and reduced design costs along with industry-leading performance, and be able to reuse their existing hardware and software designs.
The recently announced Cavium Networks next generation OCTEON II Internet Application Processor (IAP) family is designed for the next generation of Hypernetworks serving enterprise, data center, access and service provider markets which require support for converged data, voice and video. The OCTEON II target applications include switches, routers, appliances, equipment for 3G, WiMAX, LTE, wireless LAN, and unified storage systems and adapters. The OCTEON II family integrates 1 to 32 MIPS64 cores, up to 75 Application Acceleration Engines for quality of service, packet processing, TCP, compression, encryption, RAID, de-duplication and regular expression processing, up to 400Gbps of DDR3 memory bandwidth, and up to 100Gbps of network connectivity while consuming only 2W to 60W across the entire family. For more information about OCTEON II please visit: http://www.caviumnetworks.com/OCTEON_II_MIPS64.html.
6WIND provides an embedded networking software solution to mediate through simplicity the networking and application development process within multicore based equipment for telecommunications, networking and security equipment manufacturers and their embedded chipset designers. With 6WIND, the entire ecosystem of multicore technology – board manufacturers, executive environment and OS providers, chipset vendors and equipment manufacturers – can take full advantage of multicore processor capabilities without needing to deal with traditional embedded design complexities. The 6WIND’s solutions enable a reduction in development costs and a faster realization of revenues. 6WIND is a privately owned company based near Paris, France with a subsidiary in California, sales and support office in Asia, and an R&D center in Beijing, China. For more information, visit www.6wind.com.
About Cavium Networks
Cavium Networks is a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing in networking, communications, storage and security applications. Cavium Networks offers a broad portfolio of integrated, software-compatible processors ranging in performance from 10 Mbps to 20 Gbps that enable secure, intelligent functionality in enterprise, data-center, broadband/consumer and access and service provider equipment. Cavium Networks processors are supported by ecosystem partners that provide operating systems, tool support, reference designs and other services. Cavium Networks principal offices are in Mountain View, CA with design team locations in California, Massachusetts and India. For more information, please visit: http://www.caviumnetworks.com.